Wausau West High School Stage
City of Wausau
Funktion Design Studio personnel worked with the Wausau School System to design and renovate the Auditorium Stage floor and install a new material lift at the Wausau West High School. The stage design was updated, installing a permanent steel frame and concrete floor over the original Orchestra Pit, where removable wood framed panels had been used originally. This stage renovation also included handrails at the stairs to each end of the stage, something that they never had before. The design of the new material lift eliminated the use of a dangerously steep ramp for moving items from exterior grade to stage level as well as incorporating a new exterior loading dock. The lift allows the moving of equipment and materials from grade level down to the stage level as well as to an upper storage room.
- New front portion of stage with steel frame and deck with concrete topping for superior safety and capacity
- Durable burnished concrete masonry unit front stage wall with precast stone cap; entire new front-stage wall coated with graffiti-resistant coating
- New recessed light strip at front of stage for the safety of performers
- New interior material lift providing access to Grade Level, Stage Level, and Upper Storage Room Level
- New exterior loading dock with at-grade access and removable guardrails for use of material lift
- Conducted a code study and preliminary design options
- Prepared schematic design, leading to final design development
- Prepared construction documents
- Provided construction administration support to owner
Project completed by our principals, prior to Funktion Design Studio, LLC, while employed with previous firms.