Wausau Airport Storage
The City of Wausau was in need of a building that could house Snow Removal Equipment (SRE) and an Aircraft Refueler Truck at the Wausau Downtown Airport. With a limited budget and site space, Funktion Design Studio personnel worked with the City and Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Bureau of Aeronautics, to build a single building that complied with code requirements. The Aircraft Refueler and SRE Storage Building is a unique project that accomplishes both aircraft refueler storage and SRE storage into one building. The new building will extend the life of the airport equipment, which was previously stored outdoors, and allows for improved efficiency in aircraft fueling and winter snow removal operations.
The building is the first of its kind in Wisconsin, and is a shining example of design professionals leading a collaboration with project stakeholders for a successful project outcome. The project received the American Council of Engineering Companies of Wisconsin (ACEC WI) State Finalist Engineering Excellence Award.
- 3,550 square-foot pre-engineered metal structure for SRE storage
- 725 square-foot fuel truck bay constructed of masonry walls and precast roof to achieve a 4-hour fire rated enclosure
- Coordination of City of Wausau, WisDOT Bureau of Aeronautics, and State of Wisconsin Code officials
- Site design
- Coordination of MEP design for HVAC, plumbing and fire protection, and electrical services
- Schematic design phase
- Design development phase
- Construction document phase
- Bidding phase
- Construction phase
Project completed by our principals, prior to Funktion Design Studio, LLC, while employed with previous firms.